Abbotsholme was founded on the belief that what happens outside the classroom is as crucial in contributing to education as what happens within it. We have held true to our founder’s, legacy; the co-curriculum at Abbotsholme is one of the most extensive and enriching in the world.
Within the classroom, we work hard to ensure that each child’s academic needs are met and potential is realised. In our co-curricular activities, we work with similar dedication to provide opportunities for pupils to develop life skills and lifelong interests. The Curriculum and Co-curriculum work in harmony with each other, symbiotically allowing pupils to benefit from both aspects of Abbotsholme’s educational ethos. The experiences gained in one area enhances the learning in the other. Our pupils have in a wide variety of activities a profound impact on them, enabling them to develop confidence, self-awareness, self-sufficiency, self-respect, determination, social skills, leadership and courage. We believe that our holistic education helps to give our pupils the skills and attributes necessary to grow to become effective in their careers, happy in their relationships and fulfilled in their ambitions.
Abbotsholme’s co-curricular programmes include:
- A unique programme of Abbotsholme Expectations (AXs), a variety of life skills, which all pupils follow in the last two periods of the day on Monday afternoons.
- On Wednesday afternoons, a comprehensive programme of physical activities which pupils opt from, including not just the traditional team sports but activities such as fencing, farming, fishing, basketball, dance and climbing.
- A structured programme of weekend activities, including induction weekends for Years 7 and 12, adventurous outdoor trips, cultural visits and leisure activities.
- Lunchtime clubs and evening activities, including musical groups, drama productions and sports team practices.
- Optional Friday activities, for the last hour of the working week.
- Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme, with the majority of our pupils achieving awards.
- Outdoor Education in timetabled lessons, in Years 7-9. All pupils do this for one afternoon per fortnight, alternating with our Abbotsholme Enrichment Programme, which includes horse riding, conservation work, farming, drama, cookery and PHSE.
Our programmes are supported by some superb facilities, such as our theatre, an indoor climbing wall, sports centre, school farm and equestrian centre.
The diversity and extent of our programmes means that there really is something for everyone; each pupil can find something that fires and excites them and enables them to shine and grow, developing respect for themselves and the respect of others.